Highway 23 Revisited

You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Marathon Training

I've been considering a spring marathon this year. I've done one in the fall each of the last three years, but spring marathons are a bit of a different animal. They require the bulk of the base distance runs to be done in the extreme cold and with very little daylight. Right now I'm targeting the Pittsburgh Marathon on May 2nd, but we'll see. There is one two weeks later in Cleveland, but I mean, it's the Cleve'. Who really wants to run through scenic East Cleveland with a massive spring head wind? Plus the highlight of their race is running past the Cavaliers basketball arena (or what I like to call LBJ's Palace - another post for another time) and what the locals call "The Jake" (short for the Indians' ball park - Jacob's Field). "The Jake" is also a ridiculous nickname since Progressive Insurance bought the rights to the name. I do have to admit "The Prog" is not too great either. I think they should call it "The Flo" which is the lady's name in the commercials. Okay, back to running. I've been getting up at 5am to do my 5 - 6 mile runs, but the recent cold spurt and the subsequent ice on the sidewalks/road has caused me to turn to the treadmill. I've found that the easiest way to run on the treadmill is to vary the pace vastly and increase and decrease incline frequently. I have a 12 - 14 miler scheduled for this weekend and it looks like the weather will cooperate. If it goes well, then we'll see you in Pittsburgh in May.

3 comments:

  1. I really don't see why "the Jake" is a rediculous name for Jacob. I think we should ask Mr. Howlett what he thinks, because IIRC he was more than comfortable being called Jake. At least thats what it says in my phone. And let me add that to tell Jake that he's not "Progressive" is totally crossing the line. I mean, come on, he shortened his name for whole brevity thing, and that is a very progressive thing to me.

    And think of Alex and I. I dropped 4 letters out of my name from Zachary to Zak, and he dropped 5 from Alexander to Alex. And all you can do is drop 2 letters from Andrew to Andy. That Y at the end of your name, who do you think you are, you vowel fascist? I hope you burn in all the graphite you're not saving my making people write so many letters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you let me know you were writing a blog, I said, "Fine, I'll check in every once in a while." Keep writing more of this Cleveland vitriol, though, buddy boy, and you'll have a couple less hits from the greater Atlanta metro area.

    By the way, the Cleveland Marathon finishes after you run after the Bob Hope Memorial Bridge. Mr. Hope was a great comedian and an even finer American! You disrespect the Cleveland Marathon, you spit on the grave of Bob Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked a list of famous Clevelanders and was very impressed: Drew Carey, Arsenio Hall, Traci Chapman, and Halle Berry. I was, however, apalled that Cleveland took credit for the most famous person from Ohio, ever.. LeBron James. Everyone knows he is from Akron, and has the alias, King of AK. According to his personalized license plate. I'm already huge in Atlanta, by the way. Bobby Cox, Joe Johnson, and I just hit clubs last weekend. Also, Zak, WTF does Alex's shortened name have to do with anything?

    ReplyDelete